Ashely P. Hairstory!


1. How long have you been natural?

I've been ALL natural since July 19th, 2008 when I got my B.C. So that makes 7 months and 12 days. But I offically got my last perm December 8th, 2007. So that makes 1 year, 2 months and 23 days from today. (3/3/2009) Whichever you want to go by is fine with me.

2. Why and how did you go natural? (Did you transition? What products and styles did you use?)

I decided to go natural for a couple of different reasons. One of the main reasons was that I had a lot of insecurity issues growing up. I had a hard time trying to find myself. The real Ashley. So going natural was a big step for me. I was always known as the black barbie with long hair. But having long hair never made me feel any prettier and I was always curious to know what my natural hair really looked like without all the chemicals.Transitioning was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done because I didn't know of anyone who had done it already or knew how to transition. So I just kind of tried to stick it out I guess. I tried going natural several times, but because it was all new to me. I got a perm after going 8 months then again after going 6 months. The final time, I stuck it out and now here I am. ALL NATURAL!!! For the first few months I just let it grow out, so I would wear a pony tail often or a donut (yea I know, but I had to bring it back). Then after about 4 months I decided to get a sow-in for the first time in my life of ever wearing a weave (it really wasn't so bad). Then at about 5 and 1/2 I got kinky twist until the 7th month. Then I got my B.C. As far as products go, I really didn't use anything different until I got my B.C. I just made sure I conditioned and moisturiezed my hair a lot.

3. How would you describe this experience?

This experience has been a life changing one for me. Since I've been natural I've found new ways to love me for me because what I've realized is that this is the way God created me. Nothing extra, nothing altered.

4. What was others response to your naturality?

At first a lot of my friends doubted me because I had tried so many times, but once I got my B.C. they loved it and were very supportive. Every now and then one of them will ask me when I'm getting a perm, but I know its all in good fun.

2 comments:

  1. it was interesting and beautiful watching as you went from high school girl with straight hair and insecure smile to college girl with curly hair and radiant glow. I doubt that the hair alone changed the strength of your joy, but I bet it helped. Stay happy and stay close to God Ashley.

    ReplyDelete