HairStory-Erin F

Photo on 2010-02-03 at 17.19 #3

“JUST DO IT! Its just hair and you will love yourself so much more once you see the real, natural you”

Erin on going natural

1. How long have you been natural?

3 months on 5/2 :-)

2. Why and how did you go natural? (Did you transition? What products and styles did you use?)

I transitioned for 6mos usually just straightening my hair everyday...and that got really tiring!

3. Did you transition long term or do the big chop? Why?

I transitioned for 6months then finally had enough and BC'd. i wanted to go longer without cutting it and do a gradual trim but I woke up one day and said enough is enough!

4. How would you describe this experience?

The experience has been very fun, hard, emotional, exciting, scary...pretty much every feeling I could imagine! I was very excited when I first walked into my beauticians house but after I saw the hair fall to the floor I think my stomach fell with it and all I could think was that this was a HUGE mistake. It took me a couple of weeks to really come to grips with what I had done and to realize that my hair doesnt define who I am (I had always been referred to as the girl with the long hair). But then I realized that the natural me is the most beautiful i can be! I wake up in the morning and dont have to worry about flat ironing my hair and I'm not scared by rain :-). Now the hardest part is just finding the products that work best on my hair...lots of trial and error!

5. What was others response to your naturality?

I have had very mixed reviews. All of my female friends love my hair and several have BC'd after seeing my pictures and hearing my story which really made me feel good! But you know guys seem to love long hair so I got some hate mail on Facebook (ok just sad stories about how beautiful my old hair was and that I shouldnt have cut it). But then there were a few guys who really loved the new cut! I know my new look isnt for everyone...but its for me and that is all that matters.

6. Who was your biggest influence/support?  How did they provide support during your natural hair transition?

One of my friends has been natural and growing locks for about 5 years now and she ultimately convinced me that i should just go for it...so I did! Although I had the thought for a long time she gave me the courage to just go for it...and since her hair is beautiful I thought...why not?! I had some friends that told me not to and that I probably wouldnt like it but they were still supportive of my decision.

7. What have you learned since being natural (about yourself, your hair and other people)?

It probably sounds cache but I have more of a sense of self and I feel more beautiful in my own skin. I feel like there are no lies about who I am or where I come from...when you see me you can see my roots...my nappy roots :-)

8. What advice would you give to those transitioning or concerning natural?

Honestly...JUST DO IT! Its just hair and you will love yourself so much more once you see the real, natural you...and if you don't like it there is always weave ;-)

Photo on 2010-01-18 at 19.30 #3 Photo on 2010-04-14 at 08.53 #3

No comments:

Post a Comment