Antrenette C. HairStory!!!

1. How long have you been natural?

My last relaxer was August 2008 and I recently cut off the remainder of the relaxed hair about three weeks ago, May 8th to be exact.


2. Why and how did you go natural? (Did you transition? What products and styles did you use?)

I originally went natural for two reasons….Initially it was because I was working out every day and my relaxed hair was NOT holding up. In the past, I have stopped working out because I didn’t want my hair to mess up, nor did I want to put heat in it every day. So, I started putting rods in my hair and I said I was going to hold off on getting relaxers just until I reached my weight goal and then I was going to revert back. As soon as I made that decision, I ran into an old friend who was natural and her hair was GORGEOUS!!!! The rest is history. The entire 9 months I wore flexi rods in my hair and I used Kera Care and Olive oil.


3. How would you describe this experience?


I honestly was so against the whole natural idea at first because I didn’t want my hair to look "nappy". I wasn’t educated about natural hair and I hadn't been exposed to all of the different styles that having natural hair provides. I was so narrow-minded and caught up in how long my hair was and what people would say about me. However, when I finally made the decision, I truly began to realize what India Arie meant by her song, I am not my hair. It has truly been a liberating experience and it has caused me to dig deeper to define what the word "Beautiful" really means to me. During this process I have also completely dismissed the sayings, "Good hair vs. bad hair". There is no such thing.


4. What was others response to your naturality?


Most people LOVE it!!!!! I was so afraid that the people at my job would frown upon it, however, they have been the most receptive. My boss told me NEVER to change my hair because she likes the natural look so much! I have some family members that preferred my hair the relaxed way, but I've come to a point (in this process) that I respect other people's opinions, but I value and respect MINE more!
Before

Transitioning

Two Weeks Post BC

3 comments:

  1. You have a gorgeous smile to go with your beautiful hair. Your story is so much like mine. I'm contemplating the BC and your story is inspiring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've got to admit though your hair really did look beautiful as straight. I really liked the highlights in your hair. But I also like your natural hair. I'll be honest, I think the straight hair looks better on you but it's you who will need to feel good and free from caring for relaxed hair. You are beautiful even if you didn't have any hair. Stay blessed and positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely...
    I'd love to do a hair story.. I've been natural since 2001.

    ReplyDelete