Professionals Keep It Kinky-Christina



Naturals at Work 007 Display Name Christina



Age (or age range): 24



Degrees: B.S. in English with an emphasis in Professional and Technical writing



Industry: Marketing and Consulting (for now)
Title:Marketing Education Counselor/ Style Writer for Esteem Yourself magazine



Questions1. Based on your profession and corporate culture, what were your primary concerns about wearing natural hair in the workplace? How did you overcome them?



I'm in a small start-up company, about 16 employees, and I am the only minority and only woman. I was concerned that it would hinder my ability to be taken seriously or eventually become promoted in the company. However, it was clear that working extremely hard and having a positive attitude was more important than my hair. People appreciated my personality, and my hair was never an issue.



2. How did your co-workers, clients and boss respond when you revealed your new do?



It was never new. I went into the interview with my hair natural, but I was still nervous about it. One of my coworkers came into the office with bright pink, then purple hair, and all the talk about hair went to him. As the only woman, I was definitely more concerned about proving myself as an equal.
3. Has your performance been rewarded since you’ve been natural? If not, do you believe your hair has been a factor?Any regrets?



I feel respected by my boss and team. I get praised when I do a good job, or find a short cut to make our process more effective. My only regret is not rocking an afro just yet, because it is just so BIG.



4. What advice would you offer a professional peer who’s on the fence about going natural?



I would say, go for it. It would probably be best for you to ease into your natural style, if you are nervous. Every company is different, but I really believe that the more you go above and beyond at work, the more they will respect you, and see you as an asset. Despite what you hairstyle may be. Have you ever noticed corporate stock photos or generic ads? When they feature Black women, they generally have natural hair, it's inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment