Professionals Keep it Kinky –LaTanya Tatum

Summer 2009 113 Display Name: LaTanya Tatum

Age: 32

Degrees: B.S. Political Science (Jackson State University); M.S. Criminal Justice (Texas
State University--San Marcos); M.S. Organizational Leadership & Ethics (St. Edward's University)

Industry: Government    

Title: Grants Manager

Questions

1. Based on your profession and corporate culture, what were your primary concerns about wearing natural hair in the workplace? How did you overcome them?

It funny that I was even worried about my hair when I started my job because when I was interviewed, I had a TWA (this was two years ago) and they offered me the job with that. However, when the job was offered to me, I decided to get microbraids for my first day. Now, I wish I hadn't because my ID badge doesn't look like me! I overcame them by just keeping my head held high and letting my work and my work ethic speak for itself. It also helped that one of my co-workers loved the smell of coconut and could always tell (and compliment me) whenever I did a co-wash.

2. How did your co-workers, clients and boss respond when you revealed your new do?

As stated beforehand, I had microbraids when I first started my position, after about a month or so, I was ready for the braids to come out and go back to my TWA! The day that I went to work with my TWA, most people were like, "OMG, I LOVE YOUR HAIR!!!" I work with a lot of Hispanic people, so a few of them told me that their kids had hair like mine when they were little (lol). But the funniest person was my Executive Director. He waltzs into my office and goes, "Oh wow, I wore my hair like that back in the 70s."  Now he is a big tall white man. Hmmph, I just looked at him and smiled.

3. Has your performance been rewarded since you’ve been natural? If not, do you believe your hair has been a factor?Any regrets?

Yes, I have received glowing performance reviews. It's funny though, sometimes I feel that my bosses want send me somewhere to represent the office because of my hair, and each time, I am proven wrong, so I obviously still have some issues in my mind as it pertains to having natural hair. My office is sooo conservative, that I also have issues with wearing bright colors! LOL

4. What advice would you offer a professional peer who’s on the fence about going natural?

Ease into the environment, if you have a good rapport with supervisors, speak with them about your concerns and feel them out for their input.

--Make someone smile today!
~Ms. LaTanya M. Tatum, MSCJ, MSOLE
032three band fro

3 comments:

  1. Hey Soror! So glad to see you making your statement!!! Hold your head up high for us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for the inspiration i just started a new job in October, and I eased into wearing my natural hair and my office complimented my curls!! I was so excited because i didn't feel so restricted anymore. Thanks for the beautiful story, deanna

    ReplyDelete