Protective Styling

Protective Styling is a great way to protect your natural hair in the winter months. Its easy and helps you to save time.



Protective Styling


There are many ways to define protective styling and just as many methods. This process is not exclusive to naturalistas or the relaxed, it promotes and maintains the overall health of your hair. In practicing this styling method you ultimately will protect the hair from external factors that result in damage and breakage. Damage can a result of the elements (wind, sun, and/or snow) or chemical alterations such as chemical straighters, texturizers or color. Or one thing that many of us do not think about is the scarves or turtlenecks we're wearing causing breakage.

I'm a trendy person so I have a couple of scarves. Sometimes I notice a pull and then a small pop which is the sound of strands of my hair snagging and breaking into my scarf. This is a very common thing in which protective styling prevents. It's not just scarves its knitted surfaces such as shirts or even some chairs.


What styles are protective?

Any style that prevents the snag and breakage of the hair can be considered a protective style. I will name a few styles but I don't want you to feel limited to this short list.

Protective Styles
  • Two strand twist
  • Twist outs.
  • Rollers sets
  • Straw sets
  • Braids
There are many more. Feel free to comment and add your favorite protective style to the list.

What are the benefits of protective styling.

These styles allow your hair to rest from combing daily while also retaining moisture. But just because you are protective styling does not mean you can neglect your hair and scalp with expectations of obtaining or maintaining health hair. You must still wash and moisturizer. I recommend moisturizing with your favorite moisturizer (I recommend moisturizers that are shea butter base such as SheAloe) prior to styling and use a daily moisturizing sprintz to further protect and nourish the hair/scalp.

(Don't neglect the basic needs of your head.) It is equally important to cover your hair while you sleep to maintain the style and avoid friction that can break your hair while you sleep.

Read See More Protective Hair Styles For Natural Hair Here

8 comments:

  1. I'm working on more protective styles.. I do too many ponytails!

    I've started rocking Bantu Knot Outs, Braid Outs and Twist Outs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - wearing protective styles for long periods of time have made me lazy - although I did wash or rinse routinely I neglected my ends and scalp at times.

    I've gotten back in routine though and now pay more attention to overall hair care while wearing protective styles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear protective styles regularly, the less I manipulate my hair the more it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a huge twists fan back in the day! They were definitely my protective style of choice. Easy to do, easy to sleep in and lasted for days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My preference is mini twist or braids...I love the twist because tahey usually last at least 3 weeks...and my braids normally last up to 2months...I do not shampoo my hair until I take the braids out. However, I do cowash ever other w weekend and roller set the braids,and deep condition every other time with the cowashing. I moisturize with EVCoconut oil and EVOO I seal my ends with shea butter :)Follow me on twittwe: @SheSaddy -Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a two strand twist lady and to the point that when I don't have them in I feel incomplete lol. I have to admit that I often apply my moisturizing mix to my hair but forget about my scalp and ends. I already do the rest, but I'm going to start giving those other areas a lot more attention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm currently in the installation process of yarn braids which is a VERY good choice for winters. but i wear them fall to. they are very hot, so i wouldn't suggest summers. ONLY use red heart yarn do to color rinsing out in others during washing. which is just another plus! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this post..its really interesting Info at hair solution, There are so many option from where you can know more about beauty and wear regularly...

    CURLS

    ReplyDelete